Monday, January 31, 2011

Welcome February

I tend to think of December and January as the worst winter weather months in Chicago - December is full of snow, and January is full of cold...bitter cold. Well apparently February is making an effort to top them both this year by bringing in....a blizzard!

Now, I tend to think people overreact to snow fall and it's never as bad as the weather folks predict. In this case, I certainly hope that holds true as we are under an official "blizzard watch" through Wednesday this week. This storm is bringing over a foot of snow, with up to 18 inches possible, coupled with winds that could result in 4-8 foot drifts.

My favorite quote from the blizzard watch: "SNOWFALL RATES OF AT LEAST 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR ARE POSSIBLE... ESPECIALLY WITH ANY THUNDERSTORMS THAT OCCUR." Who knew you could even have thunderstorms and snow at the same time??

3 comments:

Katie said...

DC area had thunderstorms with their snow last weekend! I hadn't heard of it before then either. I hear you're going to get pounded - I hope it's not too bad!

jennie said...

that's crazy! do they ever cancel work or school out there?

maggie said...

I have been reading about this storm! Stay safe out there! We did have thundersnow last year... it's crazy to see!