Wednesday, February 10, 2010

you guys may have snow but we had...an earthquake!!!

that's right folks, last night around 4:00 in the morning, chicago's western suburbs, along with parts of wisconsin and indiana, experienced a 3.8 magnitude earthquake! of course, i slept through the whole thing so i can't report first-hand, but my mom woke up and said the whole house was shaking, which she mistakenly identified as a possible gas explosion or ice falling on the roof - both theories were disproved after a quick examination of the house. i didn't even know this, but apparently we are along a fault line out here in the midwest, although actual activity you can feel occurs pretty infrequently.

it's not quite as dramatic as snow-magedon, but there certainly are some crazy natural phenomena happening these days...

4 comments:

maggie said...

oh my goodness! i read about this and wasn't quite sure where you guys were. I'm glad that you are all okay!

jennie said...

that is crazy! my gosh i'm glad ya'll are fine!

Katie said...

I was wondering about you yesterday! I remember my first earthquake when living in CA - it was absolutely terrifying for about 5-10 seconds. But then again, I was only like 7 years old so I probably was just paranoid :)

Christina Casares said...

glad you're all okay! are you a super sound sleeper or is 3.8 just not that intense? I have no frame of reference when it comes to earthquakes.