Monday, March 11, 2013

Don't cry over spilled milk

I was prepared for certain things required when caring for a newborn.  I knew how to change her diaper (although I'll admit there are waaaay more diapers than I ever imagined, and sometimes they come in faster succession than I thought possible), I knew how to carry her while supporting her head, and I knew sometimes she would cry and we'd have to figure out how to soothe her.

Breastfeeding was a total mystery.  Honestly, Hannah is the expert and I just provide the equipment.  I prepared as best I could - took the class, did the reading, bought the supplies - but there is one thing I didn't prepare for.

I am constantly covered in milk.

Maybe my girl is a messy eater, but between her dripping, me leaking, and her spitting up, I am finding milk to be a new part of my wardrobe 24/7.  Some times are worse than others - once she spat milk in my face, and then I repaid the favor by spraying her before she could get her mouth open (not on purpose of course...at least not consciously).

I have started using multiple burp cloths more like drop cloths covering me and her and whatever piece of furniture we are sitting on, because if I don't, there will be milk.  If anyone has a better way, please, tell me.  My washing machine will thank you.

3 comments:

Cassidy said...

It gets better! At about 6-8 weeks, your supply will regulate and you'll feel more "normal". Let me know if you ever need advice or encouragement-I'm 11.5 months in and still going, despite some major setbacks along the road!

maggie said...

oh my goodness, no advice here but I love this post! You are such a great mom already and I'm sure you rock those milk-covered outfits :)

Katie Boscarino said...

I felt the same way!! I would put a cloth under, over, to the side, and tuck it in my shirt, just so when I fed her it wouldn't get on my clothes. It will get better as your milk regulates and they get better at eating. Funny story - first time at church, breastfeeding down in the nursery, came up and had milk all over my dress! Ollie was like, "Umm what happened?!?" LOL