Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Busy baby

Work has been bonkers recently, so I have completely neglected my blogging duties, but I've hit a small lull, so it's time to give an update, and this might be my favorite update yet.

The baby is moving (which is not news) and I can feel it (big news)!!!

From what I've read about this "quickening" experience, I think I felt the first movements awhile ago - like little tickles in my belly, unlike any sensation I'd ever had before.  But I wasn't convinced.

Now, the sensation has changed - now, I actually feel tiny thumps inside and I have no doubt that our little guy/girl is keeping busy in there.

So far, I've only been feeling the baby when I was sitting - maybe because he/she is more constricted then - but this morning after I got out of the shower, Herbie was busier than ever.  The crazy part was that I couldn't just feel the thumps - I could see them too, just below my rib cage at the top of my growing bump.  Talk about signs of life!

It was weird, alien, wonderful, and beautiful all at once - this little human being with it's own thoughts and impulses and personality growing inside me, totally separate and distinct from me but also completely inseparable.

I can't get over what a miracle it is, and how little I've actually done to make it happen.  I take my vitamins, try to eat right, get some exercise, and all of those healthy lifestyle choices I should do anyways, but in terms of making the baby grow and making my body expand in the right places and give the baby exactly what he/she needs to become a fully functioning member of society some day - I've done nothing.  What a miracle indeed.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations on the quickening! How very exciting and real!! I love it :)

jennie said...

wow what a strange and beautiful feeling! that is awesome!!

maggie said...

this is a truly beautiful post! thank you for sharing these moments with us :)