Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Refocus

Today I really needed to take a minute to refocus.  I found myself getting bogged down in something small, something I should have let roll off my back but I didn't.  I mulled over it.  I worried about it.  I woke up thinking about it.  Does that ever happen to you?

And so I needed to refocus.  Recalibrate.  Remember what's important and what, really, is not.  There is nothing like baby kicking in your belly to remind you of that, and last night, the baby was having his/her very own boxing match or something, because there was A LOT of kicking and punching.  It was almost like the baby was reminding me of itself, and of what his/her arrival into the world will mean for our family.

It was a reminder that this small thing that was weighing on me was indeed a very small thing compared to the new life we are bringing into this world.  A whole new person will be born, with quirks and personality traits and likes and dislikes all their own, and God has given us the responsibility of caring for this little person while he/she is little and then teaching him/her how to live as they grow up.  And that is infinitely bigger than any small thing weighing on my mind today.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations, Ashley. You are the most rational pregnant woman I know! :)

But seriously, so very true! Your little baby is so much more important than whatever little thing you had weighing you down! Love you and the little one!

Katie Boscarino said...

I do this all the time! Baby kicks are a great reminder of what's important (I totally miss that feeling)...and after their born it's their smiles, firsts, and just wanting to be near their mama that makes you forget everything else! :)

maggie said...

Another beautiful post. Thank you for the eloquent reminder of staying focused on the things in our lives that are truly important!

jennie said...

that definitely happens to me, thank you for this reminder to not get bogged down! it is beautiful!

Christina Casares said...

not boxing match...soccer game! just like his/her momma!