Monday, December 10, 2012

Disoriented

Over the past few weeks, lots of people have asked me how I'm handling all of the changes in our life - new home, new work situations, new baby on the way - and I haven't really known how to respond.  I felt so swept up in the chaos of getting everything done, that I didn't have any time to process my thoughts and emotions.

But it's been two weeks (that's it??) since we moved, and I'm starting to feel the weight of these changes more.  To describe it best, I would say I am disoriented.  Between unpacking and reestablishing lives, preparing for the baby's arrival (getting the room ready, getting my body ready, getting my mind ready), trying to prepare for Christmas, and making sure we eat three meals a day and pay our bills on time, I can feel myself getting fuzzy and confused some times.

It is all a little disorienting.

The best evidence of this are all of the lists scattered around my house right now.  Lists are my most favorite coping mechanism for overwhelming days, but now, even my lists are becoming overwhelming.  There are baby-related lists - things to assemble, things to buy, other preparations to make.  There are house project lists - change the dryer vent, hang curtains, organize the garage.  There are shopping lists and work lists and pretty soon, I'll have lists of lists.

You can see how this would get confusing :)

My mantra of sorts throughout this time has been to take one day at a time.  Deal with each day as it comes.  I think God is training me in this particular Biblical principle from Matthew 6: 25-34:

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

4 comments:

Katie said...

That's one of my favorite passages from the last 4 years! Very good insight

Katie Boscarino said...

Lists are my favorite too! Glad you found some scripture to comfort you. :)

maggie said...

you all are in my prayers for a peaceful holiday season -- and these passages are good reminders for us all! i'm a total list person as well -- I have constant running lists at home and at work!

Christina Casares said...

wise words, friend! praying for you guys...all 4 of you! (including herbie and leonidas, of course!)