You know what they say - a watched pot never boils - and right now, I feel like this baby is a watched pot refusing to boil. That's right folks - no baby yet. The doctors have assured me that I won't be pregnant forever, but it doesn't always feel that way.
I have to say, waiting for the baby to arrive has been harder than I expected, both physically and emotionally. Physically, I am more uncomfortable than I was at any other point in this pregnancy. My back is killing me, it's hard to breathe, and getting off the couch, getting into a car, or even going to bathroom can be quite challenging.
Emotionally, it has been tough because although I know I have no control over when this baby chooses to arrive, I still feel strangely disappointed in myself as the days tick by and nothing happens. I can't go anywhere without someone asking me, "when are you due?" and when I say, "last week", I get bombarded with advice about how to get labor going or stories about their experiences. I know they mean well and just want to offer encouragement, but...I haven't found it all that encouraging.
That said, Alex has been great about keeping my spirits up. He is calling this our "bonus time" - extra time for just the two of us to hang out - and has reminded me that these days of "just us" are nearly over, and then we will have the rest of our lives to celebrate and enjoy this little person.
For those keeping score, Thursday will mark 41 weeks. If the baby isn't here by then, the doctor will do some tests (an ultrasound and non-stress test) to make sure the baby is still thriving in its current home. If it is and all is functioning well, they will let me go another week. If the baby isn't here by 42 weeks (Feb. 21), I'll need to be induced. We're praying praying praying that the baby comes on it's own before that point!
4 comments:
Adding my prayers to yours! Glad Alex is doing such an awesome job right now to lift your spirits - he is going to be a great dad!!
Yes adding my prayers as well!!
Prayers from PA! You and Alex both are handling the wait like champs... enjoy this "bonus time" as much as you can!
I agree that Alex is going to be a great dad!
Post a Comment