I have spent the vast majority of the past 6 weeks in our house, and most of that time with my behind on the couch holding the baby or feeding the baby or watching the baby sleep. I do get outside every day to walk the dog, but I hadn't ventured anywhere in a car by myself until last weekend. After those successful trips, I felt like we were on a roll, so to keep up the momentum this week, Hannah and I ventured to the grocery store, the doctor's office, AND Target!
All three trips went well - Hannah slept most of the time and only cried a little bit in the line at the grocery and in the car. Success!
The interesting part of these trips for me though was how...disorienting it was to be out in the world again. It felt like sensory overload - so much to look at, so many people. I might as well have been in Times Square.
I was trying to move through the stores really quickly, which I'm sure contributed to this feeling, but I wasn't expecting to feel so...out of sorts after just six weeks. I actually commented to Alex afterwards that the lights in Target seemed brighter than usual. Eek.
So this is a sign. The time has come to start figuring out our new "normal" and it cannot be limited to the walls of my house. The weather is getting nice, the baby is getting big, and I am losing my social skills. We have to get out more :)
4 comments:
Amen sister! I need to get out more too! :)
Weirdly enough, this resonates with me a lot moving away from Farmville. I still hardly ever go to Target or Walmart because they are so overwhelming after having no options/choices for two years! Everything is louder, busier, faster paced!
that totally makes sense! it's like culture shock after being at your house for all this time!
Totally thought I commented on this one -- just wanted to say how excited I am for you to show-off the world to Hannah and enjoy a beautiful Williamsburg Spring!
Post a Comment