Thursday, January 10, 2013

Joy

I've been thinking a lot recently about joy - not happiness, but joy.  I've always thought of joy much differently than happiness.  Joy is something to experience deeply, less of an emotion and more of a feeling in your bones, rooted in gratitude and love.  I would suggest that we can have joy, even when we don't feel happy.

I think in the piles of to-do lists and chores and work, I have been distracted from focusing on the joy in our lives, and the even-more-incredible joy that is on its way, in the form of this little baby.  And since joy is not dependent on my happiness, I can have joy, even when I feel  overwhelmed or frustrated or just plain tired.

So that's my goal for these next few weeks leading up the baby's arrival - experience joy, express joy, remember joy, and anticipate even greater joy.  These are the last few weeks I'll ever have being pregnant with this child - I want to enJOY it :)

3 comments:

Katie Boscarino said...

Amen to that! :)

Christina Casares said...

so important to remember, especially during some of life's bigger challenges! thanks for the great perspective!

maggie said...

such wise words, ashley! Thank you for the reminder for all of us!